Sicilian Mussels Meal Kit for 2
August 16 2021·
August 16 2021·
- Check the mussels: Rinse the mussels in a strainer and check them all over. All the mussels should be tightly closed. Discard of any mussels that have a cracked shell. If the shell is open, tap the mussel lightly against the counter top, if the shell doesn’t close within a few minutes, discard this mussel.
- Our mussels are already de bearded, however it’s always good to check this again anyway. Look for a group of short brown strings coming out of the mussels near where the two halves of the shell close and grip these strings to pull out and remove from the shell. You will have successfully de bearded your mussel.
- In a hot pot, warm up butter or olive oil on a medium to high heat, once hot, or when butter is melted, add chopped garlic and chilli to the pan. Sauté ingredients until the garlic is fragrant and the chilli is caramelised. This is around 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add mussels to the pot and let cook for 2 minutes in the pot (covered)
- Add tomato sugo to the pot and stir in.
- Again, cover the pot and let all the ingredients cook for 4 -5 minutes
- After the required (above) cooking time, remove the lid and check the mussels. Nearly all the mussels should be open by now. If not, cook for an additional 1 -2 minutes.
- Discard of any mussels that have not opened after this amount of time.
- Serve the Mussels straight from the pan into a large bowl. Top with fresh chopped parsley and lemon and serve with toasted sourdough on the side.